Friday, March 26, 2010

New LCD Soundsystem: "Drunk Girls"




I've always been more of a fan of the electronica-based LCD Soundsystem than their exuberant, punky alter ego. Sure, "Daft Punk is Playing at my House" is a timeless classic, but LCD's other "rock songs," including this new one, do not match the quality of the other half of their catalog. When I first saw the title of this song, I was hoping for a cover of the similarly-titled Kanye song, but alas, all I got was this... hot mess. What confuses me is that you hear all this talk about James Murphy being a connoisseur of sound, a perfectionistic recorder etc, then he releases a new single that really causes you to question where all that energy is going. And then there's the subject matter. I'm all for party anthems, don't get me wrong, but a song has to be impressive to begin with before you try to drop lines like "drunk girls wait an hour to" [switch to falsetto] "peeeeeeeee!" With the new LCD album all ready to go, I have to worry if what is awaiting me is jumble of fuzz-rock in this vein, a terrible prospect. Please, just make a two-track album called "Someone Great and All my Friends, Pt. 2," and I will be satisfied. Oh and kick Free Energy off of DFA while you're at it, they're a bad influence on your sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment