Friday, March 5, 2010

Why I'm so "Over" Drake



Drake's new single, the first off his upcoming debut album, tells of his abrupt rise from low-level "Degrassi" star fame to his present "next big thing" status in rap. Over a nicely orchestrated track by Boi-1da, the Toronto MC proclaims "I know way too many people here right now that I didn't know last year" in his signature auto-tuned drawl (can Canadians drawl?). The young singer is blessed with a range that spans from the baritone of the chorus in this song to the pretty-boy falsetto of the line "Cause she holds me down" in his hit "Best I Ever Had," but what he possesses in skill, he lacks in restraint. The switches in pitch that populate most Drake songs (seen here in transition from high-pitched nasally rapped verses to the smooth chorus) seem very show-offish and more importantly disrupt the flow of the song. That being said, the man has a knack for rhyming. His penchant for clever, chuckle-worthy one-liners is impressive to say the least. But for now Drake is still a puppy to me, paws too big for his body, trying to run too fast. He needs to find his Andre 3000 spot: a happy medium between rapping and singing that also shows his respect for songs as full entities, and not just stomping grounds for his newfound talent. Oh, and here's the track.

1 comment:

  1. Hi friend, peace...
    Your blog very interesting.
    If you willing visit my blog, and read my article at http://sosiologidakwah.blogspot.com
    And... if you love books, don't forget to read The Holy Qur'an please...

    ReplyDelete